5 January 2014

Book Review!

3437Title- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Author- Mark Haddon
Genre- Young Adult, Mystery, Contemporary
Format- Paperback
UK Publisher- Vintage
Publication Date- January 1st 2003
Buy HERE

Goodreads Summary-
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's Syndrome. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.

Recently I have really had trouble reading, especially the past month. At the start of December, I had exams and then at the end, well I'm pretty sure you know what the problem was there. (Happy new year by the way guys, I hope it's the best yet!) For that reason, this book took a while for me to get through, a whole 10 days and it was only 272 pages long! The problem was not that I didn't want to read but I simply had something else that needed doing or was too worn out to concentrate. A few days after Christmas however, I was at my Grandma's house and picked it back up, reading 50 pages before I was picked up to go back home and once again, it was abandoned. Well, that was until 11 o'clock when it became glued to my hands and kept me up until a time I defiantly should of been asleep at to finish the whole thing so I could follow Christopher on his adventures.

Some people may not agree with this but I would compare The Curious Incident with The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Why, you may ask? Because it gives perspective to something I was blind to before. Going into this book, I did not know what Asperger's Syndrome was, never mind how difficult it was to live with. TFIOS does a similar job with cancer and that is why these are two of my favourite books, they help you to understand difficult situations. Upon seeing someone struggling with Asperger's, people would usually do one of four things:
  1. Stop and stare.
  2. Laugh.
  3. Get angry.
  4. Run away.
That is why I think this book is such an important read for everyone. We live in a cruel society which discriminates against may things such as race, ability and sexuality. If only we could understand each other better then maybe we wouldn't have so many many problems and maybe tensions wouldn't run quite as high. Imagine what we could get done in our world if only the people were willing to accept difference?

If you take one thing from this post, let it be this: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a must read for you, your mum, your little brother, anyone who will listen. Be sure to pick up a copy soon.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment